These Habits Make You Look Older Than You Actually Are
Aging is a part of life, but many of us make choices each day that contribute to early aging and make us look older than we actually are. Understanding how and why these actions cause early aging is important for preventing further damage.
Below we’ve listed some of the biggest ones people engage in, along with tips on how to protect yourself in the future.
Aging Habit #1: Too Much Sun
When it comes to the health and appearance of your skin, prolonged skin exposure is one of the worse things. This might be hard to hear if you enjoy regularly soaking up the sun or heading to the tanning bed.
However, long-term exposure without sunscreen can cause dry skin that’s leathery, saggy, less elastic, poorer in texture, and overall much older than it actually is. Plus, it can cause more wrinkles, age spots, and greatly increase your risk of skin cancer.
When you’re outside for a long period of time, apply a safe sunscreen and/or wear appropriate clothing and hats to protect your skin from damage.
Aging Habit #2: Smoking
Everyone knows that smoking is a harmful habit for your health, but it’s also really bad when it comes to aging too. Smoking causes bad wrinkles around your mouth, a noticeable difference in your appearance as you get older.
Plus, the chemicals in cigarette smoke can cause the breakdown of collagen faster, leading to sagging and loose skin. It’s just an overall bad practice to have if you want to slow down signs of aging.
Aging Habit #3: A Bad Diet
What you put into your body over time affects how it looks on the outside too. That’s why a poor diet can cause you to look older than you actually are when you deprive yourself of proper nutrition.
Facets of an early aging-promoting diet include:
- Too many processed foods that lack nutrition
- Too much sugar
- Not enough healthy fats from sources like avocados, flaxseeds, chia seeds, and fish or fish oil
- Too many takeout meals, which are high in sugars, salts, and chemical additives
- Lack of whole foods, which provide necessary nutrients needed for healthy skin and body
- Nutrient deficiencies from not getting proper nutrition
To ensure your body looks healthy and vital even into old age, eating a well-balanced diet is so important.
Aging Habit #4: Not Taking Care of Your Skin
Your skin is the largest organ of the body, so it makes sense neglecting this huge area would contribute to faster aging. The main ways people neglect their skin is by:
- Not moisturizing enough: Your skin needs attention just like the rest of your body, and that includes keeping it hydrated daily with the best anti-aging cream or best moisturizer.
- Not drinking enough water: Staying hydrated is another way to make sure your skin is staying supple from the inside out. Not drinking enough water during the day can lead to dry and unhealthy skin.
- Not washing their face: Those who fail to wash their face at night, especially if they wear makeup during the day, are contributing to the buildup of oil and dirt in their pores, which makes the skin look unhealthy and older than it is.
Aging Habit #5: Not Wearing Sunglasses
Don’t forget about the skin around your eyes — one of the biggest problem areas when aging shows up early.
This area is more susceptible to damage and wrinkles because it’s more sensitive than the rest of your skin, especially if you’re squinting in the sun. Wearing sunglasses with UVA and UVB protection and applying the best eye cream you can find is the way to prevent signs of aging around the eyes.
If you’ve engaged in any of these habits throughout your life, it might be discouraging knowing you can’t turn back time. But thankfully, there are ways to combat years of habits that led to early aging. Our premium products were specifically designed to reverse signs of aging and protect from future damage. Click here to view them.